Child Support Services

Published 06/17/2004 09:06:00 AM | Updated 07/20/2015 02:07:36 PM

How do I apply for child support services?

Federal law requires all states to have a child support enforcement program. In Louisiana, the program is administered by the Department of Children and Family Services, Child Support Enforcement Services (SES).

The five basic types of services that SES provides are:

Award Guidelines Schedule of Basic Child Support Obligation

The Louisiana Legislature has established the Award Guidelines to determine the amount of child support. The amount of support is based on the income of both parties. A schedule is used to determine the total amount of support, and the noncustodial parent is required to pay an amount that is based on the noncustodial parent's percentage of the total income of both parties. In cases of joint custody, the court shall consider the period of time spent by the child with the non-domiciliary party as a basis for adjustment to the amount of child support to be paid during that period of time. The New Child Support Guideline Schedule mandated in the Regular Session of the 2008 Louisiana Legislature is available at:

Applying for Child Support Services

Comprehensive child support information is available at:

Child Support information is accessed through CAFÉ. Instead of a Member ID, you will need to create a new User ID and User Number for CAFÉ and the Customer Service Center at 1-888-524-3578. Detailed instructions on how to access the CAFÉ system is available online at:

A list of Frequently Asked Questions about child support enforcement is also available online at:

Find Delinquent Payors

Delinquent payors are considered individuals under a legal obligation to pay child support, but who have not made a payment in the last six months. Locate delinquent payors using the following search tool:

The parents listed in the seach tool have evaded all efforts to collect the court ordered obligations.The State of Louisiana publishes this information about Noncustodial Parents who are seriously delinquent in making court-ordered child support payments. If you have any information on one of these parents, please call: 1-888-LA-HELP-U.

Was this answer helpful?