Medicaid provides medical benefits to low-income individuals and families. Although the federal government establishes the general rules for Medicaid, specific requirements are established by each state. In Louisiana, over a million residents receive health care coverage through Medicaid, most of whom are children under 19.
The Medicaid Program in the State operates within the Louisiana Department of Health.
Do I qualify for Medicaid?
Medicaid eligibility is determined using the Federal Poverty Level income guidelines.
In Louisiana, you qualify to receive Medicaid if you:
You may also qualify for Medicaid coverage if you:
- Are disabled according to the definition of disability of the Social Security Administration: http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify5.htm
- Have corrected vision no better than 20/200
- Are a low-income parent of children under age 19
- Are a child under age 19
- Are pregnant
- Have no insurance and need treatment for breast and/or cervical cancer
- Receive Medicare coverage and are low-income
If you live in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, or Plaquemines parish, read more about the Greater New Orleans Community Health Connection (GNOCHC) program at: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/679
How Do I Apply?
There are several ways you can apply for Medicaid or get more information: you can apply online, by phone, by mail, or in person.
1. Apply now or renew coverage for any Medicaid program by visiting the Louisiana Medicaid Online Application Center at: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/237
Once you submit the online application, it is sent immediately to the Medicaid office for processing, and there is no delay for mailing or faxing a paper form.
2. Call the Medicaid hotline toll free at 1.888.342.6207 for help applying.
3. Contact any Medicaid Application Center statewide; a map is available online at: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/262
4. Download and print a Medicaid application. The Medicaid application is available online at: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/assets/medicaid/MedicaidEligibilityForms/MedicaidApplicationPub.pdf . Mail or fax the completed form to Medicaid at:
P.O. Box 91278
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-9278
5. Contact your local Medicaid Office for help applying; a directory of offices across the state is at: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/220/n/20
You can also call 1.888.342.6207 for directions to your local Medicaid Office.
Frequently Asked Questions
A list of Frequently Asked Questions related to Medicaid and programs within Medicaid is available online at: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/901